THE DIFFERENT HATS WE WEAR
- Work – Career woman
- Home – Mother, Wife, Care giver
- Church – Chorister, Usher, Bible groups
- Schools – PTA Member.
- Activities: Parties, Weddings, Funerals
- Homework, BOARD MEETINGS ETC
SO HOW DO WE BALANCE?
- Balance means differently to different people – you must know what balance means to YOU
- How do we use the all important resource – time?
- Listing goes a long way
- Be selective
- Find time for yourself
- It is not about you?
ONE IMPORTANT RESOURCE – TIME
- How well do you use this? People attend 4 functions, change…Funerals? 24hours? Anyway to get round this?..
- How punctual are you? Remember Benjamin Franklin
- You are not a superwoman…Ask for help! You can do everything but not ALL at the same time
- Learn to say NO!
WHERE DO WE START FROM?
FOR THE 21ST CENTURY CHRISTIAN
What is happening in the 21st Century?
- Technological Advancement
- Man building a scientific laboratory in space—ISS-International space station orbiting the Earth 16 times daily for the past 15years at unimaginable speed of 27,600km\h in space. Voyager 1 travelling for the past 36 years (1977) to intersellular (out of our solar system into star galaxy system) and covering over 6 billion km in space is dumfounding.
- Mars rovers sending incredible pictures to the earth and
- Man planning to colonize another planet sounds weird
WONDER OF SOCIAL MEDIA
facebook, twetter, instagram, newsle, sanebox, what’sapp, blackberry networks, Youtube, and limitless Apps ! All these just on your phone
HOW ABOUT OPPORTUNITIES?
- Computer Advancements – from remotest part of Paga, uncountable sermons can be accessed online, downloaded, watched on youtube, podcast, mp4, Mp3 audio etc. What an amazing century!
- Quick and easy Travel to places all over the world
- Skype -Video calling from across the world
LIMITLESS OPPORTUNITIES … BUT
- As a 21st century Christian, the path to heaven remains the same!
- The focal point and driving force of a Christian’s personal development should be to transport him\her from earth to Heaven !
- In this 21st century, you are challenged by the environment and exploits in the world to develop self in order to be able to influence
As a 21st Century Christian
- We develop ourselves to fulfill a purpose; to accomplish what God put us on the earth for.
- Don’t just go through the motions of life, Know who you are and why you are here so you can develop in the right direction.
KNOWING YOUR PURPOSE
If you don’t know where you’re going any road will get you there!
- What do I really want to achieve in life?
- What kind of person do I want to be?
- Where do I see myself in the next couple of years?
- How do I plan to get there?
2 important days in our lives
- The day we’re born
- The day we discover why we’re born
- The tragedy is: a lot of us are living and dead who do not discover the second day.
WHAT IS EXCELLENCE?
- The quality of being outstanding or extremely good.
- It is a mentality and a way of life.
- Excellence is a first-class mentality in which one believes that he or she has the opportunity to achieve greatness in life. It is an everyday way of life in which the individual strives for the best in everything that he or she does.
- The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia.
QUOTES ON EXCELLENCE
- The secret of fulfillment is excellence…… to do something well is to enjoy it! Ellen Hagan.
- “If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” Martin Luther King Jr.
MY STORY – THE EARLY DAYS
- At some point I became dissatisfied with my “international” job – I got hungry
- I liked teaching, I liked talking so.. The rest is history…good to be passionate about what you do
- Scancom tried to poach me from my own business/company
- Doing crazy things: Getting resources, I found out that second hand car buyers are really rich.
- Bought my first car – brand new – cheapest in the market
- The woes of an entrepreneur
- Getting a good team together is a nightmare
- Renting office space is even more of a nightmare
- Man’s extremity is God’s opportunity (L’AINE buildings)
A Kingdom Mindset is being mindful of God’s business here on earth and acknowledging one’s strategic role in championing it.
A Kingdom Mindset;
- Is a fixed mental attitude or disposition;
- It is ruled by God, i.e., governed by His perspective, will, purposes, plans and desires;
- It predetermines or decides in advance a person’s responses to and interpretations of situations.
HOW CAN THIS BE ACHIEVED?
- Doing business with integrity
- Treating people with respect
- Rewarding faithful team members
- Encouraging shared learning
- Developing talents.
TWENTY FIVE YEARS LATER??
- HR Focus Africa Magazine
- HR Focus Universe
- Focus Digital
- HR Consultancy
- 28 awards in two years?
- Giving back, talks, bridging the gap between academia and industry, how to find their dream..etc
- Chairman, L’aine Foundation
- Co-founder, Legacy Girls’ College
- Member, University of Ghana Business School Board
- Delegation Member, ILO Conferences
- Book Author and Article Publisher
- Marriage Counselor
Blazing the Trail
- JONAH, AND THE WHALE
- STEVE JOBS – IPAD
- MANAGEMENT TRAINING VIDEOS
- THE ONLY HR MAGAZINE IN GHANA – HR FOCUS
IT’S ALL ABOUT GOD
- Solomon tried everything and yet did not find fulfillment:
Learning, Pleasure, Great accomplishments, hard work and financial reward (“A successful career”), Popularity and Fame, Wealth, Family, Anticipation of the Future.
The conclusion of the whole matter, which is really quite simple:
Fear God and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.”
What is Personal
Process of improving awareness and identity, developing talent and potential, building human capital and employability to enhance quality of life and realize your dreams.
- Why? – To keep yourself updated and continuously growing in our fast paced world.
- Planning, preparation and dedication
- Know what you want and go for it
- I have realized that L’ AINE Services is a ministry, my auction is in the market place, not the temple.
- 1 borrow Dr. Myles Munroe’s words when I say Christ gave the Church some gifts and functions – to be apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers to train the saints for the work of their ministry.
- That word “ministry” means to exercise their gifts.
- So the goal of all leadership is to help people under your care to first discover their purpose and then help them develop the character and skill to execute that assignment.
- Purpose is the discovery of your reason for existing … without purpose, life is an experiment.
- In my desire to see the youth function properly, both in the workplace and in the community at large, I provide career counseling and mentoring sessions for them.
- I believe not all of us need to look for jobs, so to encourage people to create jobs for others; I put together the L’ AINE Foundation, which sponsors individuals to begin their own business.
- My passion also extends to empowering girls from high school and in view of this, I have co-founded Legacy Girls Leadership School, a secondary institution which aims at nurturing and guiding the leadership potential in girls.
LEADERSHIP & ETHICS
Only One Leader Can Make a Difference
- Ethical Leadership is leading by knowing and doing what is right. The problem with ethical leadership is that it is difficult to define “right”. Ethical leadership is divided into two parts. The leader must act and make decisions ethically, and second, the leader must also lead ethically in their attitudes and interactions.
What is condoned by society?
- Survival of the fittest
- Issue of petrol coupons
- Over payment of salaries
- Relationships… “understanding”
- Do we do the right thing even when no one is looking
It Takes Effort & Courage
- Competitiveness, ambition and innovation will always be important to success but they must be regulated by core ethical principles
- You have to make that decision: “Mawe ataa so”
Creating Right Ethical Values
What do you stand for because if you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything in business.
- WESLEY GIRLS – Ewurabena re texting
- L’AINE – USP
- ASHESI – Honour code
Your office provides you with an opportunity to buy yourself lunch and the money is significant, 100gh a day. All you need to do is submit a receipt to support your lunch. You are happy with roasted plantain and groundnuts and therefore make arrangement for receipts from a caterer friend so you can use the money meant for your own lunch in a “better”, cost effective way. After all you don’t need a 100ghc lunch.
- It pays to be hungry
- Be passionate about what you do
- Excellence is everything
- Running your own business is tough, one nightmare after another
- It is also the ultimate
- (top of mind awareness)Ask questions at meetings and make contributions (simply means .. Be prepared… do appropriate research, etc)
- As leaders, gain confidence, increase effectiveness and make a positive impression each time you speak.
- When you attend lunches and dinners, don’t “overfill” your plate. Better to go for seconds that having an overflowing plate. Learn the skills of fine dining
- Choose what to eat – be careful about macaroni 🙂
- control your consumption
- Control your conversation
Market your personality
- Personal branding is basically selling someone your personality. You need to think hard about HOW you act. You should have a clearly identifiable personality so that people can easily feel like they know you personally, even if they’ve never met you. Your style of delivery should be as unique as any other aspect of your personal brand.
- learn strategies for tasteful self-promotion; and gain the insights that will enable you acquire the polish of accomplished world-class professional
Mediocrity is not an option
- Set hard standards for yourself in everything you do.
- Sharpen yourself – Be knowledgeable about current affairs.
- Push beyond your limits – when you think you have outdone yourself, go a little bit further.
- Seek high education
Become the best..You could ever be
- You need to create the perception that you are very good at what you do.
- Continue learning and updating your knowledge, especially if your expertise is based around the online world. If you were an ‘expert’ two years ago but have since stopped learning and challenging yourself, you’re not an expert anymore.
- Become “Extra from ordinary”… it means sleeping less hours than others would, work hard
- Before 20: Be a good student, make enough mistakes as you grow. Dust yourself off when you fall and try again.
- 30 – 40: Think clearly about working for yourself, if you really want to be an entrepreneur.
- 40-50: Do all the things you are good at. Focus on your strengths, because at this age it is too late to try out new areas.
- 50 – 60: Work for the young ones. They are doing better than you so rely on them, invest in them.
- 60+: Spend time on yourself. Go to the beach, travel, enjoy life.
- Remember: Mistakes are inevitable. Forget about regrets and enjoy the ride!